Fangxiang Chen, M.D.
Department of Neurosurgery
- Undergraduate: Hunan Medical University, Changsha, China, 1988
- Medical School: Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China, 1990
- Neurosurgery Residency: Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, Jiangsu Provincial Hospital, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China, 1995
- Master's Degree: Division of Neuroscience, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada, 2002
- Clinical Fellowship: Department of Neurosurgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa, 2005
- Research Fellow: Human Brain Research Laboratory)HBRL), University of Iowa, 07/2007-06/2009
- Residency: Department of Neurosurgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa 07/2005-06/2010
- Fellowship: Department of Neurosurgery, UIHC, Iowa City, Iowa- Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, Arizona, 07/2010-06/2011
Selected Honors and Awards
- Special University Scholarship (SUS), the University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, 1999-2001
- Cerebrovascular surgeries.
- Skull base surgeries
- Endoscopic surgeries.
- Minimally invasive skull base surgeries
- Minimally invasive spine surgeries: craniocervical junction, cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine
- Temporal and frontal lobe responses to auditory stimuli
- Functional auditory connection between temporal lobe and frontal lobe
- Other research interests: subarachnoid hemorrhage and cerebral vasospasm
Fangxiang Chen, Peter Nakaji. “Ideal” Entry Points and Trajectory in Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy (ETV): Analysis of 54 Procedures with Volumatric Imaging Guidance. (Review committee has agreed to publish) Journal of Neurosurgery.
G. Singh, P. Nakaji, F. Chen, M. Garrett, A. Little, J. Milligan. (2011) Spontaneous Debulking of Middle Fossa Chordoma Extension after Transnasal Petroclival Biopsy – Report of a Case. Minim Invas Neurosurg 2011; 54: 135–137
Fangxiang Chen, Lawrence Choi, Peter Nakaji. Endoscopic Approach to Colloid Cyst: Optimal Trajectory. In submission for publication
Fangxiang Chen, Wenzhuan He, Kelly Mahaney, Jennifer Noeller, James Torner, Patrick Hitchon. Clinical and Radiographic Assessment of Anterior Cervical Fusion with CFRP Cages and Allograft. Submitted to Journal of Neurosurgery for publication.
Jeremy D.W.Greenlee, Adam W Jackson, Fangxiang Chen, Charles Larso, Hiroyuki Oya, Hiroto Kawasaki, Haiming Chen, Matthew Howard, III. (2011) Attenuation of Human Auditory Cortical Responses During Self-Vocalization. PLoS ONE. 2011 Mar 3;6(3):e14744
Fangxiang Chen, Kelly Mahaney, Jennifer Noeller, James Torner, Patrick Hitchon. Radiographical and functional evaluation of anterior cervical fusion with allograft vs. Carbon Fiber Cage. In submission for publication.
Reddy CG, Dahdaleh NS, Albert G, Chen F,Hansen D, Nourski K, Kawasaki H, Oya H, Howard MA. (2009)A method for placing Heschl gyrus depth electrodes. J Neurosurg. 2009 Aug 7
Amanda M. Laslo, James D. Eastwood, Fang-Xiang Chen, Ting-Yim Lee. CT perfusion-derived Mean Transit Time predicts mortality and delayed vasospasm after experimental subarachnoid hemorrhage. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. Accepted